As with all vacations, whether they are casino connected or not, there are high points and low points. And there were many high points during our recent visit to Atlantic City for a Harrah’s Seven Star event:
- The Diana Ross concert. It’s hard to pick one entertainment option that appeals to a large group of people of varying tastes and ages, but I found that most of our fellow 7 Stars enjoyed this one. Brad had one complaint about this concert but it is the same one he has at any music event we attend, probably due to a generational gap – that the instrumental background music is too loud and overwhelms the singer(s) that he wants to hear. I could have avoided this little problem for Brad but I forgot to ask for non-VIP seats for us – as far back from the booming speakers as is possible!
- The Pickles deli at Bally’s. We love the food there and the Dr. Brown’s Diet Cream Soda. We had food vouchers as part of this event package but we didn’t even use all of ours since we don’t enjoy big meals. There was food at a couple of the activities and we liked going to the various Diamond Lounges where we could do small pickin’ whenever we got hungry.
- Unlimited movies in the room. We watched one or two every day. Okay, the new ”The Three Stooges” wasn’t a high point for me – but Brad liked it, said it was much better than he expected. (Some Harrah’s properties now limit the free-movie benefit for Seven Stars – perhaps just two a visit. So check in advance.)
- Double dipping on airfare. We were able to use gift cards that we had earned previously at another casino to purchase our tickets, and then Harrah’s refunded the amount in cash. (Harrah’s will not reimburse free trips, i.e., frequent-flyer award tickets, but they will reimburse tickets that you “pay” for, whether with cash, travel vouchers, or gift cards.)
- Shopping using the vouchers that came with the benefit package. We got Brad a pretty shirt at one shop, but most was spent at Brookstone, where we found they would ship our purchases free. Brad and I no longer need or even want much “stuff” so once again the Frugal Princess family in GA benefited – they can always find a way to use casino gifts!
- The cruise. The weather kept us in the bay instead of out in the ocean looking for whales, but it was a pleasant outing. They plied us continually with great hors devours and drinks.
- Friends. It was so much fun to meet so many Frugalites, both in the two organized get-togethers and as our paths crossed during the event. Some were friends whom we have known and with whom we had visited off and on for years, and others were players who had known Brad and me from my writings and on the Internet forums but never met in person before.
Stay tuned for the few problems we faced and how we solved them.